ECCO is uniquely positioned to provide the voice of consensus of European oncology professionals and engage with policy-makers to ensure that cancer stays at the top of the EU agenda.
Providing a rallying point for Europe’s community of oncology professionals, ECCO’s Public Affairs arm engages in oncopolicy: planned and sustained interaction with EU policy-makers as well as third-party stakeholders to anticipate and proactively shape EU cancer health and research policy.
Our policy objectives:
- Speak with a single voice on wider policy issues
- Engage other stakeholders in cancer research, innovation, treatment, care and education
- Coordinate the unified and multidisciplinary oncology community
- Be proactive in Europe
ECCO’s Public Affairs activities aimed at policy and advocacy will create sustained value and representation for all ECCO’s Member Organisations and uphold ECCO’s philosophy that every cancer patient deserves the best.
ECCO Public Affairs performs four key roles
- Intelligence gathering. ECCO continuously liaises with the oncology community and policy-makers to track the ever-evolving EU political landscape, tracking relevant issues such as information to patients and patient empowerment, cross-border healthcare, equity of access to treatment, professional mobility and initiatives designed to foster innovation and research.
- Analysis. ECCO evaluates this landscape to establish the potential impact on the European cancer community and thereafter determines what its current priorities are in the political arena.
- Strategic planning. ECCO creates strategies from these focal points to define key messages and produces the tools for delivering common responses that represent the oncology community in its entirety.
- Advocacy. ECCO translates these strategies into action by issuing position papers, communicating important information surrounding oncopolicy, engaging in advocacy activities and connecting policy-makers with cancer resources and experts.
The continued support, willingness and collaboration of ECCO’s Member Organisations and a unified approach aimed at strengthening policy on cancer are central to these efforts.
For more information on ECCO’s policy activities, please contact ECCO Public Affairs (eccopublicaffairs<at>ecco-org.eu)
Page last modified: